Saturday, June 10, 2017

DECLAMATION PIECE

CHILD OF A POLITICIAN

When I was but seven years old, I already knew what politics means, for I lived in an atmosphere filled with stinking smell of politics. My father, short and stout, had always a ready smile and a boisterous laughter as mood permitted. My mama, oh Mama, she’s fond of wearing dresses of the latest fashion weather they fitted her or not, and always carried with her an inseparable big bag filled with what-not but filled with unpaid bills which gave her the worst headache.

One night, as I was peeping at the door, I saw Mama busy making up her beginnings to be wrinkled face. All of a sudden, I heard her say before the mirror. “Good evening ladies and gentlemen! I’m here with you tonight to spend with you your happiness as well as your sorrows.” “Mama, are you talking to someone?” “Nobody dear, run along and play with your friends!” “So what our servants said about fairies and goblins in this house must be true.” “Run along I said and play with your friends!” “So I went out of the house to play with my friends when someone shouted at me. “Hey you child of a braggart, come, play with us.” “My father said that your father became rich because of the people’s money.” And then again another one said. Tatang Juan said that your mother always quarrels with your father because your father is under-the-saya, hahahahaha.
I was so mad that I ran back to the house to tell my father what they have told me. But before I enter the room, I heard him say before the mirror. “Good evening ladies and gentlemen!” “Papa, are you talking to someone?” “Nobody dear, run along and play with your friends.” “So what our servants said about fairies and goblins in this house must be true.” But he continued.  “Ladies and gentlemen, if you’ll vote for me, I’ll cement all the roads, bridges and toilets for your convenience.” “But Papa, you told Mama a while ago that you’ll cement our toilet, but until now it remains the same, muddy. “  “Run along I said and play with your friends.” No Papa, my friends were laughing at me. They said that they became poor because you used the people’s money and that you always quarrel with Mama because you are under-the-saya!” “So he whipped, and whipped me again till I fell down.

Oh my aching chest. Oh, my aching heart. Papa and Mama don’t love me anymore. God, I don’t want to be a child of a politician!


4 comments:

  1. I remember this piece a bit different.

    I DON'T WANT TO BE A SON OF A POLITICIAN

    When I was but 7 years old, I already new what politics meant. For I grew in an atmosphere with a stinking smell of politics.
    My father was stout and fat, and always had a ready smile and a boisterous laughter as the mood permits.
    He shakes everybody's hand and pats everybody's shoulder, with the usual, "Hello kumpadre, how's the kumadre?" As he twists his big cigar into his saliva wet lips.

    Forgot the next parts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone close to me told me that this was my declamation piece for which I won first place during our high school speech festival in 1968! Wow! Nostalgia creeping in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When i was in grade 6 i won 1st place with this declamation piece but the contents are not the same- mine was quite longer!

    ReplyDelete

a morsel of my youth

A morsel of my Youth (Malayan Wave -- aaba bbcb ccdc dd of Jose Rizal M. Reyes) In a small town where I was born and grew had happy...